One of the most powerful and exciting innovations in Computer Science and Information Technology today is the emergence of the Internet of Things (IoT) ideology. Initially, it was just a vague idea of connecting household appliances, smart devices, smart TVs, traffic lights, and medical equipment through the internet but lately we have been witnessing a revolution of sorts. According to experts, almost 25 billion devices were connected to the internet in 2020 and this could generate as much as 13 trillion dollars in the tech industry by 2025.
WHAT IS INTERNET OF THINGS?
Connecting numerous devices to the internet that can share data and communicate with each other is the concept of the Internet of Things. Many devices such as light bulbs, refrigerators, mobile phones, telephones, washing machines, etc. can be connected to the internet using a small computer chip. This amazing technology is making the world smarter, more responsive, and digital.
EXAMPLES OF IOT DEVICES
IoT devices can in all sorts of shapes and sizes including:
• Smart Home Surveillance System
• Smart Household Appliances
• Smart Energy Grids
• Smart Industrial materials.
• Smart Cities
• Automatic Transportation
• Automatic Waste Management System
• Energy Saving Devices
• IoT in Agriculture
• Smart Watches
• Smart Shops
• Smart Healthcare System
HOW IOT SYSTEM WORKS?
An IoT system consists of processors or sensors that communicate (send or receive data) to the cloud or server through the internet or some other sort of connectivity. When the data is sent to the cloud or server, a software process it. Once the process is complete, a signal is sent to the sensor to perform an action, adjust the sensor, or communicate with other devices, all without human involvement. Modern technologies like Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning concepts are also used in making these processes more dynamic and automatic.
WHAT IS INTERNET OF THINGS (IoT) SECURITY?
IoT Security refers to the security of the physical devices and the network through which they are linked. It encompasses the tools, technologies, methodologies, and necessary measures to secure the IoT devices. It also ensures that developers protect the devices from vulnerabilities and threats.
IOT SECURITY AND PRIVACY CONCERNS
Even though IoT is growing rapidly, it has some security and privacy concerns.
• IoT devices are connected to the internet and laptops/computers. Lack of security can transmit the user’s personal information to IoT devices.
• IoT devices are interconnected to the consumer’s internet and if some vulnerability occurs in the device, it can harm the entire infrastructure.
• Unauthorized access to the internet can exploit a security vulnerability and create potential risks.
• As mentioned earlier, IoT devices are interconnected with each other over the same network, so the chances of sensitive information leaking through unauthorized access are present.
• Data is not encrypted during transfer from one end to another.
• Personal information such as usernames, passwords, date of birth, address, health care information, and credit card credentials can be viewed by others.
SECURITY ISSUES OF IOT DEVICES
There are some issues that can compromise IoT security:
• Unpatched vulnerabilities.
• Weak authentication.
• Vulnerable APIs.
• Use of outdated software and application.
• Weak login credentials.
TIPS TO ENSURE THE SECURITY OF IOT DEVICES
The following measures can help in ensuring the security of IoT devices:
• Being vigilante on smartphones and tablets. Use a strong password so that bad actors don’t access your private information.
• Regularly checks for antivirus updates.
• Using strong login credentials. Don’t use a generic username and password.
• Deploying an end-to-end encryption model.
• Making sure that mobile devices and their operating systems software are up to date.
• Avoiding the sharing of credentials with others.
• Consulting an expert when needed.
ADVANTAGES OF IoT TECHNOLOGY
• Easy tracking of IoT devices for increased security.
• Save time and money.
• Task automation.
• Easy access to data from anywhere at any time.
• Advertisement of relevant and most searched products to the consumer.
FUTURE OF INTERNET OF THINGS (IoT)
The advancement of IoT is potentially boundless and the future seems very promising. AI technology endorsed with IoT devices will impact our lives, homes, and communities and as our world becomes more digital, the advancement continues. The potential isn’t simply in empowering billions of gadgets at the same time but also in utilizing the enormous volumes of significant information that can mechanize different business measures. As systems and IoT stages develop to tackle these problems through expanded limits and AI, specialist organizations will edge into IT and web-scale markets, opening a whole new flood of income into the Tech industry.
As discussed earlier, IoT is becoming an innovation that is undeniably here to stay in this modern world. Even though it’s had an incredible impact on how things are done, it’s not without fault. With a considerable amount of effort and research, we can convert those disadvantages into benefits. The possibilities to what this concept can enhance are endless. Despite all the security issues and privacy concerns, IoT devices add major value to the lives of consumers by making devices more pleasurable to use, easy, and automatic. With some effort in advancing IoT security, we can use IoT devices with less fear of the potential risks involved, effectively automating all aspects of daily living.